Translate

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Per Pound of Flesh Ch. 13 Excerpt

“I don’t even know why I’m crying.  I hated the job.  I mean it sucked.  Michael was such a douche bag.  I bet he dreams about sucking cock.”

John smirked at the outburst then looked around again before focusing back on Dennis who dabbed at his cheeks.

“What am I going to do for a job?” he asked.  “I needed that money.”

“Hey, it’ll be fine.  I mean it’s not like you have to pay rent right?”

Dennis let out a deep sigh.  “My parents,” he said, “you don’t think he called them?  I mean I had to put their information on my application in case of emergencies.  If my parents found out.  I mean it was already bad enough when my mom figured out I hadn’t been in my room all night.  By the way I told them I was with you.”

“Just take it one step at a time,” John said.

“I’m in so much shit if they find out,” he said.  “All of my life I’ve had to hide who I was and now this and I can’t even keep a fucking job.”

Dennis looked John in the eye.  He had a look of fear John hadn’t seen before in his life.  He was exposed and vulnerable.  Some part of John wanted to cry with him but he couldn’t.  He felt like doing the opposite, to show some resilience instead.

“I haven’t seen a waiter since I sat down,” John said.  “What kind of service do they have here?  You might be able to work here,” John said.

“I hate these places,” Dennis said before he laughed then leaned close and asked with a sarcastic tone, “Do you think they are hiring?”

******

They were stopped in front of Dennis’s house like they had been when John had asked him if he was still gay after Dennis had come out to him on John’s birthday.  It was all there in John’s mind as he stared at Dennis in the seat next to him.

“Well, I wish I could take you out for a drink but my wife really wants to go to the mall and I have work later tonight.”

“It’s okay,” Dennis said.

“No really, I’m sorry,” John said.

“I know,” Dennis said.  “You’ve been really nice to me.”

“But if you need me then give me a call.”

Dennis opened the car door and began to stand.

“No really, call me,” John said.  “If your parents, you know, if they know and you can’t deal with it.”

Dennis turned and looked back to him.

“I wish I could kiss you,” he said.

“I know,” John replied.

“Well, it’s just a dumb fucking job I didn’t like anyway.”

“Maybe it’s for the better.”

“Maybe,” Dennis said.  He moved the door slightly with his hand to close it then stopped.  It was a moment.  It was an ending.  He pulled it open to steady himself the readied to close the car door.

“Hey, take care,” John added.

“Thanks I’ll see you later.”

Dennis closed the door and turned away from the car as John watched him walk back to his home.  It was a mundane sight that he had seen before but it meant so much more to him in that moment.  He shifted to drive and pulled away from the curb.

No comments:

Post a Comment